Friday, October 22, 2010

Fresh bisqued work and new glazed work



And so the drive to make a better mug handle continues. My very first were too small to fit even the average pinky finger, my next weak and timid on the bottom, the next were plagued with cracks when layered with terra sig, and after a brief stint working with Kristen Kieffer's two-piece handles, these are so much better.

They are pulled from a lump of clay attached to the cup (soon to be a mug). I wet my hand, form it into a mold for the clay to move through, and I shape it into a handle. My friend told me once that holding a well made handle is like holding the hand of the person who made it. To a point I believe it. Every potter I know has their own unique handle, from each of their unique two hands. Still, if you don't want to imagine holding someone's hand you're not intimately involved with the entire time you're sipping your coffee, I'd understand that, too. Just remember it's a handmade object that another human being put time, thought, and character into. It's a beautiful thing.



Cups with Kristen Kieffer glazes pirated from our summer Penland workshop together. She is awesome.


Root Beer Float mugs with shop glazes. They are tall enough to account for the delectable dessert spoon you will be enjoying your root beet float with, or for your jumbo straw. They would certainly work for bubble tea or shakes, too! Anything you want a massive serving of.


My brother taught me that the way you remember to spell "dessert" with two "s"s is because it's so good you want two servings of it. So true...

1 comment:

Joanna said...

The comment about the mug handles is right on! I absolutely feel like I'm holding the hand of the mug-maker when it's done right. I'm so looking forward to seeing your new stuff! And you!