Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Coming home

All in the last week of June I was offered two amazing opportunities - both childhood dreams, both once in a lifetime. On Monday my dad offered to help build up a community art center in the old Manchester, NH store space. The rest of the building is being renovated into residential units and instead of renting the space out to someone else, he figured it would be a perfect space for my art center. The first floor and the basement are "mine". The building is in downtown Manchester, right across from the Verizon arena and on Main St. It probably is the perfect place.

The building was built in 1890. The photo (1972) shows the building at the tip of the arrow. (Photo compliments of the Manchester Historic Association.

Then, on Friday morning, I received a phone call from the US Fulbright office in DC saying they had money available to offer me a grant. The project was to live and work for ten months in Cambodia under doing community development/resource and capacity building with resettlement communities outside of Phnom Penh. He wanted a yes or no by Monday morning.

Well, I'm in New Hampshire again, so you know I've turned down the Fulbright Grant and decided to move forward with the art center. It will be great. More soon.

In addition to all that I'm setting up a personal home studio in Nashua to prep for the Christmas season. More on that soon, too!

No comments: